Thursday, February 9, 2012

Jennifer Rene Mikkola

Even from a distance, you could clearly see her head of red, unruly hair, some locks curling smoothly and tamely, other pieces rebellious and wild; quite similar to her character. Eyes full of years' experience, but always looking for more -you learned quickly that not much escaped her notice- if you didn't watch out, she'd discover "just what you need". A project horse? "You can't say no." And always setting up friendships, "You need to meet. You'd be great friends."


A laugh both unique and contagious, you could keep track of her in a crowd by just that sound, but when she wanted to, she could be intensely quiet.


If you didn't know her, she was the friendliest stranger, with plenty to say, especially about Ride and Shine and her beloved horses. But if you were lucky enough to really know her, she was a friend, a mother, a shoulder to cry on, someone to laugh with -she was faithful to administer whatever a situation needed, even if her idea of what that was differed from yours- a slap in the face when "you needed it!", a lecture in having self confidence, a jab about needing to "cowgirl up"... But you really couldn't be cross with her for long.




She helped us, she worked us hard, she taught us, she was a pain in the butt, she teased us, she lectured us... She loved us.


If you asked me to put, simply, just who Jen was, to me, I'd say: She was not what I expected, just what I needed, and much of who I hope to someday be.








I love you, Jennifer, I miss you like crazy, I wish you were still here to bug me and help me stay sane and get crazy. You helped me become who I am today, and who I am working toward being. I miss laughing with you, and crying with you, being goofy, and working ourselves too hard every day even though we said we shouldn't. I wish I could look forward to making more memories with you, but the ones I have are among my most cherished. Thank you for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer was a dear friend from years ago who I sadly lost contact with a long time ago after I moved away and began too busy with life and kids to keep in touch. I googled her name today because I was thinking about her and was so upset to find out she has passed away. Your blog decribes her exactly as she was to me, and I have been sad all day. She teased me, lectured me, but she also loved me and she will always be in my heart. Could you please email me at lmw2198@gmail.com, I would like to talk to you about her. My name is Laura Williams.

    ReplyDelete