Thursday, May 3, 2012

ch 29



After breakfast
I clean the bowl
pack it up in my rucksack
and turn to Old Bill.
He smiles at me and
says, “Have fun, kid.”
At first we shake hands
but we end up hugging
like we did after the meeting
with the Welfare
I tell Old Bill
that the Bendarat Hilton
is the best hotel
I’ve known
and he laughs and
says, “Glad it suited you.”
We shake again,
one last time
for a while, at least
and then he takes his bag
slings it over his shoulder
and walks
north
slowly, but he goes
I watch him for some time
and, of course
I’m happy
I look up at the sky
standing and staring
the hobo sky
strong and steady,
always there
like my Caitlin
and Old Bill
steadfast friends
and I know
I’ll make it through
then I stop
and think to myself
“I already have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment